Sunday, May 10, 2009

I Don't Need Mother's Day


Every year people ask me on Mother's Day if I heard from my son, or what did he get me, or where is he taking me, and when I say no, nothing, nowhere, they are appalled. But I'm not. I don't expect or require any kind of behavior on Mother's Day out of the norm, and he knows that.

That there's a day that requires a certain behavior seems insincere to both of us. If he suddenly decided to buy me a gift for some appreciative reason, I'd be fine with it any other day of the year. If he wanted to take me to dinner or somewhere to enjoy my company, I'd also be fine with it any other day of the year. And we'd probably get a reservation easier.

I'm happy without a phone call. Silence means he's handling his own problems, paying his own bills, busy, and relatively at peace. I'm a helicopter mother, always hovering, ready to swoop in and rescue my troops...and he's a generation that only marginally has a problem with that. For the most part, they let us hover and rescue. I know I won't always be around to do that, so when I'm not needed, I'm glad. If he can manage, that's good. I've done my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment