Monday, August 9, 2010

Can I Get a Do Over?

I thought my husband was a content soul who was satisfied with his life…until I overheard him telling a focus group moderator that he wasn’t.

I asked him about this later. He said he realized now that he had made some serious mistakes when he was younger – not going to college, not getting into a less physical line of work. As his body starts to prematurely wear out, he realizes he could have had an easier time of it and made more money if he had chosen a career that used his still sharp brain more, something like engineering or computer technology.

Now I feel bad about all the times I took shots at him for wasting his intellect. Don't most of us make crucial life-impacting decisions between the ages of 16 and 24, when we are most likely to be swayed by the stupidest of motives?

When my 19-year-old son got a small tattoo on his leg, I cried. This is a mistake, I told him. He didn’t believe me. When he dropped out of college a year later to travel around the United States, I told him this was a mistake. He couldn’t fathom staying in his boring hometown anymore. About 12 years later, he came home, though, and finished college. His legs and arms are covered in tattoos, and for his chosen career, he diplomatically keeps them hidden.

He gets frustrated that his career isn’t as far along as others his age, but I have to remind him he got a late start. While he was roaming free and unencumbered by physical possessions, the whole computer age happened. When he checked back into school, he had to learn the basic skills that kids are almost born knowing now. Things are moving so fast technologically, it's hard to keep up even if you had stayed current.

There’s nothing I can say now to undo decisions my son or husband made when they were in their twenties. When he was in the critical 16-24 years, my husband put a higher priority on getting unshackled from the control of teachers and parents than in continuing his education. Even now, a mental fog about being a rock musician has been the deciding factor on how he spends his weekends and evenings and has crowded out any ideas of picking up his education where he left off. His four or more nights a week devoted to practice or playing has taken away from our marriage, as well. I wonder if a decade or two from now, he’ll look back at that decision and think, gee, what did I miss, and for what?

For several years now, I’ve been saying this is a bad idea. How much more time and money can we afford to invest in playing covers in bar bands? But he still enjoys it. He hasn’t made the connection yet that his second chance to accomplish a career change is being defeated by the time demands of his hobby. By the time he does, it will be too late…again.

By why should anyone listen to me when I didn’t listen to me? At age 15, I had three priorities: a) get a boyfriend or husband, b) leave home, and c) become a newspaper journalist. If I could visit my 15-year-old self, I would plead with her not to put the goals in that order.

Maintaining the boyfriend and/or husband would repeatedly derail the pursuit of my career over the years, and in the end, neither one of the men I made so many sacrifices for turned out to be worth it. Staying closer to family would have made so many things easier. I chose difficult, frustrating, expensive, damaging romantic entanglements in a town where I have no roots or mentors over parents who lived in career hotspot cities who would have let me live at home for free, and subsidized my education and career search indefinitely.

If I had just stayed home! In Richmond, there were very limited opportunities to become a newspaper journalist while my parents lived where there were multiple daily papers, as well as weeklies and specialty publications, and huge tourism industries in need of publicists and marketers. If I had not locked myself into a less than ideal marriage with a person who wouldn't relocate, I could have expanded my job search to Anywhere in the Entire United States. Somewhere, I just know, there would have been a newspaper or PR job to be had when I was in my twenties, and I could have launched my career 20 years sooner and had that much more experience by now.

Once that was in place, there would have been plenty of time for boyfriends or husbands and children, and probably better choices, too.

Looking back at my life, I can’t believe I didn’t choose that…and for what?! A mysterious temporary chemical reaction called love? That passes, you know. There is no one I was in love with back then that I still love or even miss. Love bubbles up anew at each turn in the road. Or maybe it's just because now that I am the same age my parents were when I left them, I can imagine myself getting along with them. Why couldn't I be the person I am now back then? Things sure look different looking back.

6 comments:

  1. as you know, you're not alone. plenty of us do the same things with similiar results. life can be pretty much the same for many of us... we're all human..you know..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story of life. No one in thier teens will take advide or relate until they are at our age. The decisions that think are right at the time end up to work out just fine because in the end the path you take is the one you were supposed to make. Then there's karma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss your musing... where have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am a person at the age of 20, accidentally linking to this article. It remindes me a lot of things. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article reminds me a lot. I am at the age of making the right decision now.(21)
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete