Monday, December 22, 2008

Mad Santa


I am not a fan of Christmas.

  1. Shopping in cold weather is not fun.

  2. Having to do regular errands, like buying mailing envelopes, dishwashing liquid, and return a malfunctioning storage drive means no place to park and long lines no matter where I go to do it this week.

  3. No one in my family has small children, so Christmas is adult-oriented. Adult presents cost more than children's presents, and you're shopping for people who already have everything they want. When money is tight, the person who ends up not getting a gift is my husband. That doesn't seem right.

  4. Did I mention neither of us got a raise this year? Well, neither of us was laid off, either, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

  5. I have a double set of in-laws, since my husband's parents are divorced and remarried. That means double in-law presents. Double road trips over the river and through the woods...

  6. I have never been able to establish any family Christmas traditions of my own because I've never been able to have a Christmas at home with just my immediate family. I have been on the road for 29 years, a visitor to other people's traditions, except for a six year break between husbands when my Christmas tradition was happily home alone with my own turkey and dressing, and three movies, Coal Miner's Daughter, Manhattan, and When Harry Met Sally. I was never sad to be alone.

  7. Sometimes I just want to cry. And then the bills come in January and I really want to cry. (When I worked at the Times-Dispatch, back in the newspaper prosperity days, they used to give you a Christmas bonus of a week's salary. That was very helpful. I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.)

  8. I don't put the tree up because then I would have to take it down. Or I could be like some of the people in the Fan District who leave their Christmas lights up all year.

  9. Aren't I pathetic. Grinch has nothing on me.

  10. My favorite holiday is Martin Luther King Day. I get a three-day weekend and I'm not expected to do anything, not even have a dream.

2 comments:

  1. Stop doing whatever you're told and step up and invite the family and/or friends over to your place for a change. They'd probably appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issue with my house is a) too many cats, and b) not even chairs.

    ReplyDelete