Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Richmond Police Story

My husband was driving down McCloy and stopped to turn right onto Cary Street at 2 a.m. It was right after he played a gig and he stopped at the bank there to get money to pay the drummer, who was in the van. They see the cop in the Cary Court shopping center. Now my husband is a by-the-book driver and he doesn't drink at all when he's playing music. (Yes, call Ripley's Believe It or Not, it's true!) He's always yelling at me about my driving. And no one wants any trouble in the middle of the night when you have a drummer in the car. He's eyeball to eyeball with a cop car, so you know he's not going to blow past the stoplight. That would be crazy ass stupid.

He comes to a full stop before turning. The cop pulls him over ANYWAY and gives him a ticket for not stopping because it's 2 in the morning and two guys in a van have to be up to no good, right?

Well, he goes to court to contest the ticket. He tells the judge he made a full stop, honest to goodness. My husband is a short haired, sincere fellow who looks like an old Harry Potter. The judge asks the cop, is it possible he did stop and you just didn't see it? The cop says, yeah, it's possible. He might have stopped.

The judge finds my husband guilty, ANYWAY! The drummer was supposed to go with him as a witness, but court starts at 9 a.m., and he's a drummer, so...not gonna happen. And if the drummer had testified, my husband might have gotten jail time for being in possession of a drummer at 2 a.m., so maybe it was for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment